The first organ in this United Church was a hand-pumped instrument installed in 1885 which was subsequently replaced by a Karn Morris tracker organ in 1909. As a memorial to Trinity United Church members who were killed in WW 2 and in the Korean conflict, this Casavant Frères organ, with 3 manuals and full pedals, was constructed and installed in 1955. It is actually 4 organs in one, the Great, Swell, Choir, and Pedal organs (Divisions). The Choir and the Swell divisions are enclosed in chambers which have louvers that can be opened and closed by the organist via foot pedals.
This “King of Instruments” is an English Romantic organ with baroque adaptations. It has 2978 speaking pipes and 48 stops capable of producing the softest of music and the most thunderous full organ sounds. Since its dedication on February 18, 1955, it has combined music and voice to the glory and praise of God.
Vierne Organ Symphony No 1 Finale
Organist Donald Fraser
Original Stop List
|Gt. Super||Sw. Super||Choir Sub||8 Tromba||Sw, Gt, Ch. to Ped|
|111 Mixture||Sw. Sub||Choir Sup||16 Trombone||Sw, Gt, Ch. Super to Ped Sw., Ch. to Gt|
|8 Tuba||Trem||Trem||4 Choral Bass||Sw, Ch. Super and Sub to Gt. Sw. to Ch.|
|2 Fifteenth||11 Sesquialtera||8 Tuba||8 Stopped Flute||Sw. Super and Sub to Ch.|
|2 2/3 Twelfth||4 Schalmey||8 Clarinet||8 Octave||24 Presets 6 per manual|
|4 Wald Flute||8 Oboe||1 Sifflet||8 Cello||6 General Toe Pistons|
|4 Principal||8 Trumpet||1 3/5 Tierce||16 Gedeckt||1 Full Organ Piston|
|8 Gemshorn||16 Double Trumpet||1 1/3 Larigot||16 Violine||Crescendo|
|8 Rohrflote||IV Mixture||2 2/3 Nasard||16 Bourdon|
|8 Sec. Open Diap.||2 Piccolo||2 Flageolet||16 Open Diap.|
|8 First Open Diap.||2 2/3 Quint||4 Violina||32 Resultant|
|16 Open Diapason||4 Octave||4 Wald Flute||Chimes|
|Chimes||4 Flauto Traverso||8 Viol de Orchestra|
|8 Voix Celeste||8 Doppel Flute|
|8 Viola Da Gamba||8 Violin Diapason|
|8 Stopped Diap.|
|8 Open Diapason|
The information for this pamphlet was prepared by Paul Vandergaag, an interested member of the congregation, to help mark the 150th Anniversary of the church building in 2014. This work is much appreciated by the 2014 Trinity Clifton Celebration Planning Committee and the pamphlet was produced with support from that Committee.